Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan or Yojana (PMSMA) is a new initiative of the Narendra Modi Government launched on June 9, 2016. The scheme has been launched with the objective of improving antenatal health of the pregnant women.
This scheme will be in addition to Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY), a demand promotion scheme involves conditional cash transfer of incentives to pregnant women coming into the institutional fold for delivery. It ensures timely Ante Natal Care (ANC), institutional delivery and Post Natal Care (PNC). However, expenses were incurred by the beneficiaries on drugs, diagnostics, transport etc. which was a barrier in accessing quality services and Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (JSSK) that entitles all pregnant women with free treatment, drug, diagnostics, diet and transport was then launched under the platform of NRHM to improve accessibility of care during ANC, PNC and Institutional delivery.
Main Objectives of PMSMA
Under this scheme free health checkup will be given to the pregnant women specially in 2nd and 3rd trimester assuring their good health and birth of a healthy child. Below are some of the main objectives of the scheme.
- Lowering the maternity mortality rate.
- Making pregnant women aware of their health issues/diseases through health counselling.
- Making sure safe delivery.
- Training of manpower for maternal and child health.
The following health care facilities will be included in the scheme
- -Primary Health Centers,
- -Community Health Centers
- -Rural Hospitals
- -Sub-District Hospital
- -District Hospital
- -Medical College Hospital
- -Urban Dispensaries
- -Urban Health Posts
- -Maternity Homes
Main features of Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan
- This is a fixed day scheme which will happen on 9th of every month.
- All the beneficiaries visiting the Facility are first registered in a separate register for Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA).
- All the lab investigations for ANC regular check up and screen will be provided free of cost to the beneficiaries. Lab Investigations – USG, & all basic investigations – Hb , Urine Albumin, RBS (Dip stick), Rapid Malaria test, Rapid VDRL test, Blood Grouping, CBC ESR, USG. This will ensure identification of High Risk status (like anemia, gestational diabetes, hypertension, infection etc.) at the time of examination and further advice.
- All identified high risk pregnancies should be referred to higher facilities and JSSK help desks that have been set up at these facilities should be responsible for guiding the referred women once they reach the facilities. MCP cards to be issued to all beneficiaries.
- All identified High Risk women including those with complications to be managed and treated by OBGY/CEmOC/BEmOC Specialist). If needed, such cases should be referred to higher level facilities and a referral slip with probable diagnosis and treatment given should be mentioned on the slip.
- Screening USG facility should be provided to all pregnant females in 2nd / 3rd trimestor. If in house Sonography facility is not available, USG services may be made available in a PPP mode and expenditure booked under JSSK.
- All the beneficiaries will be counselled, may be individually or in groups, on nutrition, rest, safe sex, safety, birth preparedness, identification of danger signs, institutional delivery, proper breastfeeding techniques and Post – partum Family Planning ( PPFP ) by ANMs or health workers.
- Those pregnant women with unwanted pregnancies need to be provided with safe abortion care services after proper counselling.
- Referral Transport Mechanism for High risk women: During PMSMA, 108 /102 /State owned ambulances/Private empanelled ambulances can also be used for referring those cases identified as high risk.
- Medical officer or OBGY specialist will classify the females based on their examination and lab inv results and will use different colors of stickers on the health cards of the pregnant women as follows:
|Sticker Color||Types of Condition|
|Green Sticker||Normal patients (no risk factor)|
|Red Sticker||high risk pregnancy|
|Blue Sticker||Pregnancy Induced Hypertension|
|Yellow sticker||Pregnancy with co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, STIs|
For the detailed guidelines, click here.
Q. What does the scheme PMSMA focus on?
Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) a Modi government initiative was launched in June 2016
- Scheme aims at boosting healthcare facilities for pregnant and especially poor women
- It seems to protect pregnant ladies from infectious diseases as well
- Under this scheme, pregnant ladies will be given free health check up and required treatment for free on the 9th of every month
- Scheme will be applicable to pregnant women to avail in government hospitals across India
- Scheme is applicable for women in the pregnancy period of 3-6 months
- Women belonging to semi urban, rural and poor areas will be accorded preference